Tuesday 15 May 2012

Go Gluten Free! The Roundup

Today is the second day of Coeliac Awareness Week which this year runs 14th–20th May 2012. For the past few days I have run an event, challenging people to bake/cook and blog about a recipe they adapted in some way to make it gluten free. The entry deadline was last night and so here is the roundup of the tasty submissions.

I kicked off the event with some Gluten Free Sour Cream Scones. Perfect for afternoon tea.


Quick off the mark was Chef Annie from Annie’s Supper Club. A fellow coeliac who I had the pleasure of meeting a few months back. She’s provided us with a delicious recipe for Gluten Free Waffles – perfect for sweet or savoury toppings. Here Annie has topped hers with three cheeses, crispy spicy chorizo and some sautéed cherry tomatoes – wow!


Next up was Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog with her Brown Butter & Choc Chip Friands. These tasty little cakes are made using ground almonds instead of flour for a moist and tender cake, you’d never know they were gluten free. Love the idea of using browned butter too – must try!


Another recipe from me, a GF version of Minni’s Chocolate Pie. The infamous pie from the book/film ‘The Help’ Chocolaty, sticky and decedent, everything you’d want in a pie. Made with crisp gluten free pastry.


Nipping in at the last minute we have this gorgeous looking Banana and Coffee Cake from Nic of Cherrapeno. I love the idea of pairing coffee and banana together (and some chocolate chips!) Nic shows that subsisting wheat flour with gluten free flours can produce delicious cakes. Looks wonderful moist – save me a slice!
As Coeliac Awareness Week is going on all week, why not try eating one day completely gluten free and seeing how you could adapt your diet or try ordering a gluten free meal off a restaurant menu or simply looking at the everyday foods you take for granted and seeing where gluten can sneak in.
Thank you to everyone who took part or gave support in some way. I hope you’ll try out a few of the recipes and see that missing gluten doesn’t mean missing out!

7 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

This all looks lovely. I had meant to put something in to this but I just seem to be a bit out with my dates and thought I had a few weeks to go (also discovered I missed a friends birthday that was on the weekend so this seems par for the course for me lately).

Nic said...

Thanks for adding mine in Katie - it's a fabulous round-up with some great ideas!

Hungry now....

Viki - juegos gratis said...

Delicius!!

c.g. autoayuda said...

good!!
grettings
by autoayuda

Unknown said...

Sorry to see I missed out on this event, I hope you'll be repeating it!

Caroline said...

Great round up and a really great idea - awareness definitely still needs raising. Really sorry that I couldn't contribute but I just didn't manage to fit anything in, busy busy!

Choclette said...

Katie, I'm just off to check out that infamous chocolate pie - it looks amazing. It's good to have a few more gluten free recipes up one's sleeve, so thank you for raising awareness about this.